THE OFFICIAL FFXIV INFO: (Retail Updated First Post)

General Discussion for Members and Non-members.
Circan

Re: Anyone going to buy FF14??? (Anduril Social LS Server: TBD)

Post by Circan »

If you are running the game's torrent client, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do.

If you are running another torrent client to download the update, I suggest you use uTorrent. It's fast, light, and doesn't bog your computer down like some others do. Plus, this guide is easy to follow for uTorrent.

There are two things you should make sure and do.

1) Set an exception for Windows or other software firewall (ZoneAlarm, Norton, etc.). [[uTorrent automatically sets up windows firewall when you install it, so if you use uTorrent, you can skip this step.]]
  • To check settings for windows firewall:
  • Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Allow a program or feature through windows firewall -> Check the list below for your program.
  • If the clientname.exe file isn't there, you will need to go to the client's support website to find exactly which files you need to allow through the firewall.

2) Set port forwarding on your router(or modem\router). To do this you'll need to collect what port you need to forward, your computer's IPv4 address, and be able to access your router's setup page. Three steps to do this.

Step 1: You can locate where to view/change the Port settings of your bit-torrent client by browsing their documentation. In uTorrent, go to Options > Preferences > Connections, check "Enable UPnP port mapping" and check "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping.". Click "random port" once, and write down the port number in the box. This will be the port number you will be forwarding in your router. Uncheck "Randomize port each time µTorrent starts."

Step 2: Find your computer's IP address. The fastest way is to open your start menu, and type "CMD". Press enter. It'll open Command Prompt. In the command prompt window it will say something like "C:\user\". After the username type: "ipconfig /all" [no quotes]. This will produce a list of information that can be quite long. Scroll to the top of the list, and read top down on the left side till you see: "IPv4 Address" After the address will be an IP, given in the following format: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Write down the number you have with the appropriate period separations. If you cannot find it there, google: "How to find your IP address" to find a more specific guide.

Step 3: Now that you have your port and ip address, you can set up port forwarding with your router. Use the guides in the following link to set up your router's port forwarding. The whole process should take you 10 minutes to do total.

http://portforward.com/english/applicat ... rindex.htm
FFXI fanatic.

Stormdancer

Post by Stormdancer »

Circan, I love you. Even if you do cough hairballs all over the rug.

Circan

Post by Circan »

Additional things you can do:

1) Set your download speed and upload speed to "unlimited".

2) Increase the number of connections you can have "globally" and "per download"
In uTorrent, Go to Options > Preferences > Bandwidth > Global Connections
Set the "Global" number to 750; set the maximum number of connected peers to 375 (you can try higher in increments of 25, but at some point, there will be a net loss rather than gain).

3) Your ISP may be throttling your download. Cable internet providers are more likely to do this to a greater extent than others (comcast is notorious).. though almost all will do it.
FFXI fanatic.

Phane

Post by Phane »

MS Security Essentials came up with a (I'm assuming false) detection of Virus:DOS/SSR.gen while installing the update and I had to disable it and redo the whole thing (not the download, thankfully). Scans after the fact haven't turned it up.

Edit: It still shows up in a complete scan but other forums are saying that this is a false detection only through MSE.

Phane

Post by Phane »

Open beta registration is up now... about 5 mins late, not bad for SE...

Of course the server is overwhelmed, so it's timing out every time I try to get in.

Enneisevoli

Post by Enneisevoli »

iv been hitting refresh on the page for like an hour, i haven't been able to get through lol. Keeps timing out :(

eowynn

Post by eowynn »

we crashed them all under maintenance lol

Enneisevoli

Post by Enneisevoli »

lol so is it a waste for me to keep refreshing? or should i keep plugging away? any updates that you know of? lol

Phane

Post by Phane »

I got to the page where I read the agreement and click on accept. I apparently clicked the accept button before the little (CLOSE) image loaded and the javascript no longer worked so I had to refresh... it still hasn't refreshed for the 10 minutes I've been trying...

Phane

Post by Phane »

Got the page to refresh and it took me back to the beta application portal... :(

I've got to go to bed soon, so I guess I'll see you guys online tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. Have fun!