THE OFFICIAL FFXIV INFO: (Retail Updated First Post)

General Discussion for Members and Non-members.
Enneisevoli

Re: Anyone going to buy FF14???

Post by Enneisevoli »

awesome il try that. Sorry, though noob question. Like i said iv always been more of a programmer and not a hardware guy lol. But how to i overclock and whats a sli patch lol? Thanks a lot in advance DA :).

P.S.
I'm excited at some of the names i'm seeing in this thread. Going to be fun to play with some legacy Anduril players again :P. I really hope Sah and kiera join the party also (and of course DK, soral, tepette, elmalie, arcaniz and many many others also)

DarkAurora

Post by DarkAurora »

Here's the link to the SLI enhancement patch. I think it should work w/ other brands since it's just a driver patch. Upgrade your drivers before applying it.
http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/

For overclocking video cards can use any of the overclocking programs out there like; RivaTuner or EVGA Precision. I used EVGA Precision cause it simple to use but RivaTuner has more customization like fan speed to temp mapping.

For overclocking CPU, you'd do it through the motherboard. This is the hardest since you need to stress test you CPU to make sure it's stable and also keep is running cool.

I'd just try updating drivers and the SLI enhancement patch first. If FFXIV benchmark wasn't using SLI is should afterwords. I used EVGA Precision to monitor the load across my GPUs. Right now it shows that both my GPUs are loaded when I run the benchmark.

DarkAurora

Post by DarkAurora »

Here's another way someone got there SLI/Crossfire to work:
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewt ... f=2&t=5209

I wish I could get a 10,000+ score. ; ;

Enneisevoli

Post by Enneisevoli »

lol ever since applying that patch i'm running at like half i was before with massive frame drops lol. Any idea how to get rid of it? lmao

DarkAurora

Post by DarkAurora »

lol, Uninstall your drivers and reinstall them.

Ashido

Post by Ashido »

if i end up playing im gona be a cat. i need something to look at q.q

Phane

Post by Phane »

Enneisevoli wrote:anybody have any idea of the best way to get my score into the mid 3000's or higher? Here is my setup. A list from cheapest to most expensive would be great if you have any suggestions lol. Obviously, Better processor, upgrade graphics cards, buy more ram are probably the list, but if you could give me some advise on best options for each of these that aren't ridiculously expensive it would be great. Looking to stay under 1000 if possible but don't feel restricted by that in your advise giving :P.

The image has all my info, but on top of that additional info is I'm running a 31 inch monitor, 4 gigs of ram and my graphics cards are actually 3 of the listed nvidia in sli. Thx for the help, iv never been a hardware guy :P lol.

If you've got that kind of a budget, there's no reason you can't get a bad-ass system. For $550, I got myself an i5-750 with 4 GB of DDR3-1600 and a nicely overclockable SLI motherboard. I'm waiting on a new heatsink/fan that's been backordered before I start overclocking. That'd throw another $30 onto the mix. If you need new graphics cards, I found 2x GTS 250's with 1GB of memory each for $108 a piece on sale. I looked on newegg for a similar config that'd put your total price tag at $760 without the new heatsink and would be a hell of a nice system with a new Windows 7 x64 license. I got :

2742 High Res
4656 Low Res

With no overclocking beyond tweaking the memory timings/voltages.

I'll try to PM you the list.

Edit: Your GTX-280 would actually be about as fast as my 2x GTS-250's so you probably could save $200 by forgoing the graphics cards or go for overkill by getting another GTX-280 for SLI.

Phane

Post by Phane »

I read what you originally posted a little closer and realized that you're running trip sli on those gtx 280s which is well beyond what I'm doing. Your memory is sufficient so I'm guessing it's the fact that you're running an older CPU and chipset (LGA775) and no turbo-boost. The i5-750 I pointed out to you is the most expensive processor Tomshardware recommends shy of $900+. It's really impressive at stock clock and with a good heatsink, it can overclock from 2.66ghz to 4ghz and perform almost as well as the $900+ CPUs.

The problem with that is it's on an LGA1156 chipset, which will still bottleneck your PCI Express lanes with you running trip sli. You may want to upgrade to an LGA 1366 system with the beefier socket to unlock your 3x GTX 280 goodness to it's full potential.

Edit: corrected gtx 480 with 280

DarkAurora

Post by DarkAurora »

Here's a CPU heirarchy chart from tom's for gaming:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bes ... 599-7.html

I found it useful. I was thinking about upgrading hardware but decided not to since my CPU is only really 2nd tier right now. So I decided to OC it.

I hate stability checking my CPU... I hope i'm finished soon.

Phane

Post by Phane »

Wow... According to that, my upgrade from my Athlon 64 X2 4800+ to my i5-750 brought me up 6 tiers. Someone was overdue for some luvin...

I just got an email saying my new heatsink/fan show up on Monday! /dance

I get to burn in the arctic silver a while and then I could overclock the heck out of it if I wanted. Just not sure what kind of insane GPU requirements FFXIV has. I wasn't using that sli patch when I tested but I saw the expected 50% performance boost using sli vs not. Maybe sli has gotten more efficient over the last 10 years.