Has anyone seen Phelan in game?

General Discussion for Members and Non-members.
Reka

Has anyone seen Phelan in game?

Post by Reka »

I have only told a few in the LS that Phelan was no longer playing due to financial difficulties and had stopped payment on his account several months ago. He was planning to return in a few months...

However, in the months since he stopped paying/playing, he received an email from SE asking about the change in his payment information. He did some checking, and it seems his character has been hacked. This possibly tied in with the fact that a friend that fixed his HD that crapped out apparently found a key-logger on it.

I have few details other than that, but on his behalf I'm asking that if anyone sees his Character in game, please make note of where and under what conditions? (i.e. bazaaring everything he owned...) I, unfortunately, cannot log-in much these days, or I would be hunting down the A__hat myself. It's possible they jumped server, also, in which case he's screwed unless SE can track it down.

Thank you, Anduril.

Sahearniitth

Re: Has anyone seen Phelan in game?

Post by Sahearniitth »

Its kind of difficult to track people who jump servers unless you have them on flist cause usually they change names although if you have distinguishing gear/comments in bazzaar it can help.

SE on the other hand has no issues tracking down an account cause they can do it via the POL ID. It takes some time to investigate weather it was legit stolen or not though.

And to answer your question, no I havent seen him ingame but I dont exactlly look for him either.

Hatushara

Post by Hatushara »

I saw him on in WG about idk within 3 weeks on RNG running around
ImageImageImage

Reka

Post by Reka »

Hatushara wrote:I saw him on in WG about idk within 3 weeks on RNG running around
Hmm, well, if that is true, then I'm not sure what's really going on.

I just got a call from "Phelan", who said that he received a second email from SE, and this one was a 'sequel' to the first..but this one was asking for info. He became suspicious and said he contacted SE, and apparently there are phishing emails making the rounds. According to him, his account is intact...but I cautioned him that the fact he even got a phishing email of this type implies a very specific targeting, since the usual phish emails are rather generic in nature. So somehow, someone got his email from somewhere...whether it was the keylogger or an acquaintance, he doesn't know. He claims the first email looked extremely official.

So bottom line, Hatu, if you really did see him on in the past 3 weeks, I'm not sure if his account is safe or not...

If any one else has definitive sightings, I would be grateful for the information. Thanks.

Circan

Post by Circan »

Phelan does not have to pay anything to see if his POL account is O.K. The POL system account is the same password based access as FFXI, but you do NOT have to activate content IDs (of FFXI installed for that matter) to log into it. If hPhelan can do that, I suspect he's just fine. Also, POL records and notes the last time the account was logged in, so if it's something other than the day he last played, then I would suggest he changes his login.

Also, Square Enix (as far as I have ever seen) sends emails only to the POL account concerning anything with accounts, and only ever to say your change was accepted. So, whatever he got, he got from a phishing scheme or something similar. As far as targeting, don't count on it being too specific - if he's registered on any website dealing with FFXI, has FFXI attributed to that email through an account anywhere, or went to two websites owned by the same people while still on the same IP and MAC address, there are dozens of "spider" search programs which'll put that together. All someone has to do is buy the list.
FFXI fanatic.

Hatushara

Post by Hatushara »

Reka wrote:
Hatushara wrote:I saw him on in WG about idk within 3 weeks on RNG running around
Hmm, well, if that is true, then I'm not sure what's really going on.

I just got a call from "Phelan", who said that he received a second email from SE, and this one was a 'sequel' to the first..but this one was asking for info. He became suspicious and said he contacted SE, and apparently there are phishing emails making the rounds. According to him, his account is intact...but I cautioned him that the fact he even got a phishing email of this type implies a very specific targeting, since the usual phish emails are rather generic in nature. So somehow, someone got his email from somewhere...whether it was the keylogger or an acquaintance, he doesn't know. He claims the first email looked extremely official.

So bottom line, Hatu, if you really did see him on in the past 3 weeks, I'm not sure if his account is safe or not...

If any one else has definitive sightings, I would be grateful for the information. Thanks.
Well ii'm 99%possitive it was him... i recognize his gear anywhere
ImageImageImage