Extra special warning to PSN users

General Discussion for Members and Non-members.
Phane

Extra special warning to PSN users

Post by Phane »

Yeah, I know you've probably all read about how Sony got hacked and leaked potentially a lot of bad stuff, but there's something I think a lot of news sites have missed. They leaked your password to PSN and your email address.

Even if you're smart and don't use the same PW everywhere, you probably are like me and use the same email address to register for just about anything on the web (a garbage hotmail account, perhaps). If you used the same password to sign into PSN as you use for your email address, CHANGE YOUR EMAIL PW NOW!

If I were a clever hacker, and I'm assuming whoever hacked PSN has at least half a brain, I'd be checking to see if I could access those email addresses with the PSN passwords. I'm betting most people probably used the same PW for PSN as their email address. If I got in, I'd change the PW and hijack the account, then troll around all the popular sites like Amazon, Ebay, and the banking sites like Wells Fargo and BofA, maybe even credit card sites and I'd be clicking on all those links that say "Forgot Login/Password" and having the info emailed to the account I just hijacked.

To make matters worse, how are you going to recover all those accounts when you can't access the email used to register them? Hmmmm?

Just a heads up that credit card numbers aren't the only thing people should be worried about.

RoamingAshido

Re: Extra special warning to PSN users

Post by RoamingAshido »

if i were a clever hacker i'd just follow the traceroute ip address ( via logs and what not ) and just hack you directly.

Phane

Post by Phane »

RoamingAshido wrote:if i were a clever hacker i'd just follow the traceroute ip address ( via logs and what not ) and just hack you directly.
Not sure what you mean by this, but if you mean they should target the IP addresses of all 70 million PSN users and try to hack their PC's, I don't think that'd be feasible, let alone productive. If they had some kind of exploit that would make it feasible to hack a large group of PC's then it'd be far more productive to just hit entire IP blocks assigned to major ISP's.

RoamingAshido

Post by RoamingAshido »

Anything is feasable. get a meth head who knows how to hack , supply him with meth and let him have at it .

Just tell him " the shadow people will eat you if you dont do it "

Phane

Post by Phane »

RoamingAshido wrote:Anything is feasable. get a meth head who knows how to hack , supply him with meth and let him have at it .

Just tell him " the shadow people will eat you if you dont do it "
It's feesible for one person to hack one PC but what about 70 million PC's? I also don't think it's particularly cost effective to hack even one PC otherwise there'd be tons of hackers in countries with loosely enforced hacking laws making a living doing just that. If you're doing it for fun, that's one thing, but I'd assume there's a profit motivation here.

And once again, you don't need a list of IP's to find PC's to hack anymore than a thief needs a list of address to find houses to break into. Unless they're trying to hack PS3's instead.