THE OFFICIAL FFXIV INFO: (Retail Updated First Post)

General Discussion for Members and Non-members.
Mahoro

Re: THE OFFICIAL FFXIV INFO: (Retail Updated First Post)

Post by Mahoro »

Are you talking about the multisampling thingy? I have set the following on Config (not the highest but reasonably close for my system):

Window Size: 1600x1024 (I can do higher but I actually don't want the window to take up the whole of my widescreen monitor because I like having a small band on the side for wiki/other stuff simultaneously...i do the same with FFXI)
Multisampling: 4x MSAA
Buffer Size: Resolution
Shadow Detail: Standard (would rather have great draw distance and textures than shadows as I don't look at them too much)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: Highest
no ambient occlusion or depth of field (are these any good?)

On the in-game config, everything is set to max,

Phane

Post by Phane »

AA is the Multisampling part of the config. It's short for Anti-Aliasing. MSAA = Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing. In short, it blends pixels where there's a lot of contrast so that edges don't look as jagged. I leave MSAA off in FFXIV (and most games) because it is generally costly when it comes to framerate.

I had Depth of Field and Ambient Occlusion on in that screenshot.

Depth of Field basically blurs the background (stuff in the distance), which kind of gives the game a cinematic feel. Once I got SLI working, I leave this on while actually playing.

Ambient Occlusion is a lighting technique that makes shadows and lighting look more realistic. I didn't think this was worth the drop in framerate, personally.

Juanmiguel

Post by Juanmiguel »

Hi, I did transfer my character name, but it didn't give me the option or sent me to Mysidia. Any other ideas guys?

Juanmiguel

Post by Juanmiguel »

I also purchased another character option. Been trying to see if mysidia shows up in the list, but no luck.

Is there an auction house in ffxiv? having to browse endless bazaars is quite annoying. I really thought there would be more content in the commercial version, but I'm really getting bored of this quickly =( levequests are too simple and have no background story.

Phane

Post by Phane »

Juanmiguel wrote:Is there an auction house in ffxiv? having to browse endless bazaars is quite annoying.
There are no AH's right now. I agree that it is quite annoying.
Juanmiguel wrote:I really thought there would be more content in the commercial version, but I'm really getting bored of this quickly =( levequests are too simple and have no background story.
I'm guessing that, once you get to rank 20, you can join guilds and then start doing Guildleves, which might be interesting. I'm not sure yet where the main story picks up after the first newbie quest is finished.

Mahoro

Post by Mahoro »

The starter story quests take about an hour or two and then just end. Eow told me yesterday that they continue once you reach Rank 10 but I'm not sure how long those last. I agree though that the story component appears lacking a bit. The guildleve quests remind me HEAVILY of WoW's quests, where you go to an NPC and get a quick couple of paragraphs of description of what you need to go do or fetch.

Enneisevoli

Post by Enneisevoli »

hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i canceled my account :(. Not because i didn't enjoy the game but mostly because of some other IRL reasons. I'm sure this isn't much of a surprise for some of you that i said it was a possibility. I'm kind of sad cause i WAS excited to connect with a lot of you again, and maybe il end up playing a little bit later i don't know. But for now I'm going to do the responsible thing, at least until i'm making a little bit more headway in my career, and focus on work. Good luck in game guy! (with that being said, i'm sorry to cause you guys the pain of making another shell, but luckily its not tooooo big yet and shouldn't be TOOO hard :/, i hope.)

Phane

Post by Phane »

Awww man, sorry Ennei. I hope you get your issues straightened out. Any chance you'll be coming back later on?

Enneisevoli

Post by Enneisevoli »

there is always a chance, cause i did enjoy the game. But, i'm trying to be responsible for once lol. I'm 28 and nowhere near to were is should be in my career. Now after talking to my GF (long distance she lives in japan), we set a date for her to move to America. So i have 2 years to make HUGE strides in the film industry (which is no easy task). So as much as i want to play, i just shouldn't right now :(. Who knows if it will stick, i'm weak when it comes to MMO's so i may end up playing eventually, but hopefully i stay strong lol. I am however contemplating logging on for social reasons eventually just to talk and keep in touch while i write during the day, but i have to be sure it wont interrupt with my work before i try to attempt this lol. I'm hoping if i wait a long time after release, that my competitive nature will subside and i wont feel like i have to keep up with everybody else level progression so i can then take a more casual approach to the game lol.

Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden »

Good luck, Ennei! I have some friends who recently moved out to LA to try and break into the entertainment industry in various fashions (one a musician, the other a writer), and it's certainly not the easiest thing to do. I'm not sure where you live, but hopefully it's near an entertainment center. Previously they both lived in Georgia, and making any headway was pretty much impossible, but they're pretty positive and feel like they're moving forward now that they've made the move.